Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain as well as severe, recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, also known as TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints, or TMJs, connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
Symptoms of TMD include:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
If you notice that you are experiencing any of these symptoms, let us know at your next appointment. Dr. Boucher can determine if you have TMD and create a customized treatment plan to help relieve your symptoms.
Not all jaw pain is associated with TMD
If you feel that you might have TMD, it is worthwhile to see us and receive an exam. However, not all jaw pain is associated with TMD, and if you do not have it there are many different preventive steps you can take to maintain a healthy, strong smile.
- Relax your face — “Lips together, teeth apart”
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Avoid all gum chewing
- Don’t cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver to your ear with your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin resting on your hand
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared
Many people get TMD without ever having braces. Symptoms usually wax and wane regardless of whether braces are worn. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above and are concerned that you’re a candidate for TMD treatment, please contact our office for a consultation.
we love Our Patients
- "From the moment you enter the office, you get a pleasant and relaxed feeling from the friendly and efficient office staff. Their wonderful smiles always put me at ease. Dr. Boucher’s gentle expertise and professional care extends to his very knowledgeable and confident support staff."
- "Love, love, love this practice! Not only do my children receive top-notch ortho treatment, but the staff is exceptional. As someone who works in the dental field and sees patients from all over Chester County, I know that Boucher Orthodontics is second to none!"
- "We couldn’t be more pleased with Dr. Boucher and his team. Dr. Boucher is an exceptional orthodontist, with an incredible depth and scope of orthodontics. He gives his patients a functionally sound as well as beautiful smile. From the friendly and accommodating staff at the front desk to the talented, friendly clinical staff, it is always a great visit to his office!"